Sunday, November 13, 2005

How can I prevent database corruptions?

If you have always dreamed of building your own log home check out: http://loghomeusa.com/

How can I prevent database corruptions?

Database corruptions can occur on virtually any software product that uses a database. The three biggest database killers are power problems, improper shutdown, and network problems.


  1. Power Problems- Use a working Uninterruptible Power Supplies (UPS) on all computers. A UPS with a dead battery is just as likely to allow a database to be damaged as using none at all so it is important to test them periodically and make sure they are functional.
  2. Improper Shutdown- No matter what version of Microsoft Windows™ you are using, it is imperative that you always shut both your software and your computer down properly. Turning the power off on your computer will eventually corrupt your windows installation but more importantly will very likely damage any databases that are open.

    To shut-down your computer properly, click on the Start button and select the Shut Down option. You must then select the option to Shut Down and click OK.
  3. Network Problems- Improper network Setup or design can definitely cause data corruption. Some network protocols are not fault tolerant. This means that they don’t handle problems well. Have a qualified Network Engineer consult with you about networking issues.
In thinking about these kinds of problems there is no substitute for common sense. I was talking with an office manager one time who had experienced a Medisoft database corruption. She asked me about factors that could contribute to this kind of problem. After reviewing all the items listed above she declared that they had a UPS on every computer and never had power fluctuations. She told me that they always shut down the software properly and they recently had a technician check their network and were certain that it was configured correctly and functioning properly.

A few days later I was talking with this same office manager about an unrelated issue and I asked her about one of her computers. She told me that computer was her "smoker". I asked her why she called that computer her "smoker" and she told me that they had recently had to replace the power supply on that computer because it had caught fire one day while her biller was posting payments with her Medisoft software. I asked her when that had happened and she told me that it was right before their data corruption. She was shocked when I told her that this was the likely culprit behind her data failure. I had to explain that just having a UPS on the computer wasn't going to always prevent every possible power problem.

Mark Beans, MCSE, MCP+I
Medical Software Tools
http://MedicalSoftwareTools.com

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home